Updated July 2022
High-Performance Computing Systems Administrator
OIT Research Computing @ University of Colorado Boulder (CURC)
- Provisioned and deployed the Alpine supercomputer, the third generation of on-premise high-performance computing infrastructure at CURC
- Coordinate with researchers and vendors to expand the Blanca condo cluster, which comprises nodes owned by researchers and managed by CURC
- Troubleshoot system problems to improve uptime and reliability
- Coordinate with user support team and systems architects to ensure optimal design and implementation of new features for the academic research community
- Conduct hiring and knowledge transfers to support the growth of a dynamic and rapidly-growing team
- Representative of CURC on the ACCESS Resource Providers, née XSEDE Service Providers, Forum
Computational Systems Manager
Earlham College Computer Science
June 2018-August 2021
- Engineer a data center consisting of over 20 Linux servers, including three high-performance computing clusters running CentOS, a Xen hypervisor for virtual machines, SQL databases, and Docker containers. Support teaching in computer science and researchers in computational chemistry, biophysics, and bioinformatics deploying software and running analysis on HPC clusters.
- Icelandic field research co-leader: Faculty co-leader of the June 2021 Iceland program. Using UAV’s and image assembly software to empowering scientists to detect underground features. Funded in part by National Geographic!
- Field Day: Android application to interface with Arduino sensor platforms
- Installed, configured, and now maintain Slurm instances on three clusters for batch queueing. Automate repetitive tasks using Bash and Python scripts. Improved backup and monitoring services to increase uptime and reduce friction. Deployed an Ansible instance for automated systems management. Budgeted and procured hardware upgrades to ensure technological competitiveness.
- First responder for system failures and chief architect of prevention measures – including redundancy, incident reporting, and monitoring. Implement best security practices.
- Oversaw the collection, modeling, and analysis of UAV survey data collected during survey research in Iceland. Participate in the design, implementation, and debugging of Android apps, workflows for image analysis and DNA sequence analysis, and data modeling for collection of soil samples in the field. Used Python data science tools to visualize and analyze datasets.
- Mentor 7-10 undergraduate students learning to administer Linux servers each semester. Supervise students in project groups and classes, about both technical and professional matters. Twice sat on hiring committees. Help plan the future of the department and navigate crises.
- Ensure information (including data and designs) is preserved in an accessible and searchable place in writing, not just in verbal conversation. Participate in department planning that modernized scope of courses and offerings to students.
Information Technology Consultant
Earley Tech Solutions
June 2017-June 2018
- Implemented convenience store point-of-sale system in collaboration with technicians and supervisors
- Built and maintained wireless networks with Ubiquiti hardware for locally-owned motel at two sites
- Built websites for individuals and small businesses using WordPress, Squarespace, and Shopify
Computer Science Student Worker
August 2013 – December 2016
- Designed and managed PostgreSQL databases for Icelandic field studies data
- Wrote Python code to sort image files based on Exif geocodes and to harvest electricity readings
- Systems and Networking: Linux (CentOS, Debian), Bash, ZSH, TCP/IP network architecture, SQL database administration, DNS, DHCP, scripting for automation, Apache configuration and deployment
- High-Performance Computing: Ansible, LDAP, monitoring (Nagios, Ganglia), NFS, Slurm, some experience with Mellanox Infiniband and CUDA accelerators
- Software Development: Git, Python, C, C++, Android (Java), some Perl
- Communication: Documentation, technical writing, blogging, photo and video production
- Leadership: Mentorship, training, onboarding, budget proposals, inventory procurement
- GitHub (personal) – github.com/craigearley
- Earlham CS GitLab (past work) – code.cs.earlham.edu/craig
- Samples of internally-used code may be made available upon request.
B.A. in Computer Science
Earlham College – Grad. December 2016
College Honors and Departmental Honors
References available upon request.